Listen to this article
Estimated 4 minutes
The audio version of this article is generated by AI-based technology. Mispronunciations can occur. We are working with our partners to continually review and improve the results.
Warner Bros. Discovery is briefly reopening takeover talks with Skydance-owned Paramount to hear the company’s “best and final” offer, while the Hollywood giant continues to back the studio and streaming deal it struck with Netflix.
Warner Bros. Discovery — which owns HBO Max and a wealth of valuable titles from the Harry Potter series to the DC superhero franchise — said in a regulatory filing Tuesday said it had received a waiver from Netflix to reopen talks with Paramount for the next seven days, or until Monday.
Warner said this will allow the companies to discuss unresolved “deficiencies” and “clarify certain terms” of Paramount’s latest bid. Netflix is also allowed to match Paramount’s offer under the terms of its merger.
The company has previously rejected Paramount’s offers, which included a hostile bid by Paramount in December. But just because talks are resuming now doesn’t mean Warner has changed its position, which the company made clear in its response.
“Our board has not determined that your proposal is reasonably likely to result in a transaction that is superior to the Netflix merger,” Warner Bros. chairman Samuel DiPiazza Jr. and CEO David Zaslav said in a letter sent Tuesday to the Paramount board.
“We continue to recommend and remain fully committed to our transaction with Netflix.”
Netflix has agreed to buy Warner Bros. Discovery’s TV and film studios and streaming division for $72 billion US. If the deal gets regulatory approval, it would shift the media landscape, and some movie theatre companies are voicing concern for their future.
Warner’s leadership consistently has backed the offer from Netflix. In December, Netflix agreed to buy Warner’s studio and streaming business for $72 billion US, now in an all-cash transaction that would cover its legacy TV and movie production arms, as well as HBO Max.
Including debt, the enterprise value of the deal is about $83 billion, or $27.75 per share, and would be finalized after Warner completes a previously announced separation of its cable operations.
The decision by Warner Bros. to engage with Paramount marks a shift for the studio. Paramount has previously said the board “never meaningfully engaged” with them on six different offers that executives made in the 12 weeks before Warner Bros. announced the merger agreement with Netflix in December.
In a statement of its own, Netflix also expressed confidence in the deal it has already reached with Warner Bros.
“While we are confident that our transaction provides superior value and certainty, we recognize the ongoing distraction for WBD stockholders and the broader…
Read More: Warner Bros. reopening takeover talks with Paramount, but Netflix deal



